Thursday, August 31, 2017

Angels: Easy Felt and cloth Angel Christmas decorations

My Blue Angels: Easy Felt and cloth Angel Christmas decorations for your tree or home

Felt Angel

Easy Felt angel

I saw this cute angel on Pinterest. I decided that I would make it very similar and without the feet.
I also wanted to add tulle for an extra pair of wings.
It was a little hard to cut the tulle, as it slides around. Pin it well and it cuts easier. I made six layers of tulle and used Fiskars scissors that are very sharp to cut the tulle and the felt.



Original design of the felt Angel

Folk Angel Ornaments by Look Happy Shop
Folk Angel Ornaments by Look Happy Shop

Buttons, Pom poms and floss

With the blanket stitch, it takes about 24 inches of floss for one circle. I usually cut my floss in about a 12 to 16 inch piece. I used one and a half lengths of the 6 strand floss. You can use three threads of floss and it will still look good.
I buy my floss in large quantity from Amazon so I have plenty on hand for projects.
I also got buttons and Pom Poms in large lots for the same reason.
I also am a fan of yard sales, second hand stores and gently used boutiques to get craft supplies that are mostly new but abandoned projects or supplies that no one had time to finish or use.
Many kits I buy have extra floss in them as well and I save that to use in other projects that do not come from a kit.

Another view of the original pattern

There is no pattern for this beaded angel ornament by LookHappyShop on Flickr. The crafter may have used 3 strands of floss for her embroidery. I cannot tell.
There is no pattern for this beaded angel ornament by LookHappyShop on Flickr. The crafter may have used 3 strands of floss for her embroidery. I cannot tell.
Source: You will find all the photos at my Pinterest account - link on this page

Supplies to make angels

Felt, floss, pom poms, pattern, tulle for wings and buttons
Felt, floss, pom poms, pattern, tulle for wings and buttons

Steps in making the angels -- FREE Pattern

The first thing I did was look at the pattern and decide how I wanted to make the angel the way I wanted her to look.
I knew I would need a lot of floss to edge the circles, so I decided not to add the legs and feet.
I ordered felt that had a lot of pinks, and yellows. I ordered the plain tulle, I believe I got that at the dollar store in the wedding section. You will find that also at WalMart in the wedding section. You can also by one larger spool of the Tulle for 2 to 3 dollars at Amazon.
I gathered all my buttons and ordered a large bag of pom poms that have all different sizes of pom poms. I sorted through the buttons and choose the colors I wanted and put them in baggies.
I sorted through all my floss and put those colors that matched the felt in another baggie.
I had all my supplies together and after I cut out the pattern that I hand drew I was ready to begin. I used a CD as a pattern for the circle. I hand drew the wings.
You may use my patterns for FREE.

FREE Pattern for all angels and wings I made

Wingspan is about 6 inches at the longest - and  1 3/4 at the widest. The circle is made from a CD.
Wingspan is about 6 inches at the longest - and 1 3/4 at the widest. The circle is made from a CD.
CD exactly over the top of my pattern piece - 4 and 1/2 inches wide.
CD exactly over the top of my pattern piece - 4 and 1/2 inches wide.

Steps for sewing the Angel

Blanket stitch all around the edge of the circle with floss
Blanket stitch all around the edge of the circle with floss
First fold of your angel
First fold of your angel
Second fold of your angel covering up the first fold with the end stitch of your floss
Second fold of your angel covering up the first fold with the end stitch of your floss

Blanket stitch tutorial

The link for this pattern is at my Pinterest account mentioned below
The link for this pattern is at my Pinterest account mentioned below

Sewing steps

First I sewed the embroidery floss in the blanket stitch all around the edge of the felt circles that I cut out. I made 20 of the angels so I needed a lot of floss.
After I edged the felt in the floss I was ready to cut out the tulle and the felt wings.
For the tulle I layered it into six layers and pinned it very well with a lot of pins as the first batch kept sliding so I found that the second batch came out better when I pinned it very well.

Start your stitches to sew the angel

First stitch to close the angel and attach button, come from inside the folds.
First stitch to close the angel and attach button, come from inside the folds.
Holding the wings on the back go through one time to the back and come through all the layers to the hole in the button
Holding the wings on the back go through one time to the back and come through all the layers to the hole in the button
Showing how the back looks under the wings
Showing how the back looks under the wings
Go through the back of the neck area and up through the pom pom  and back down again througn the pom pom to make the loop. Attach firmly behind the neck to anchor your pom pom.
Go through the back of the neck area and up through the pom pom and back down again througn the pom pom to make the loop. Attach firmly behind the neck to anchor your pom pom.

Angel wings made from tulle - from the back

Tulle wings added
Tulle wings added

Two Angels done

Two cute angels
Two cute angels

The other Blue Angels - 2013 - one of their last air shows

Angels made with cloth

Those came out well so I decided to try to make Angels made with cloth with the feet this time made from the smaller pom poms instead of felt like the original design.
I cut out circles of cloth and matched two colors one solid and one print of cotton material.
My Blue Angels

Instead of sewing and turning the circles, I decided to make them in the new "Shabby chic" style with raw edges and zigzag stitching.
I sewed the two colors together with the zig zag stitching. I carefully trimmed the circles of the excess material close to the edge of the circle and the zig zag stitching.
I then folded the circles and got them ready for the buttons, the pom pom head and the two wings of felt and tulle.
I had quite a lot of tulle from the one roll, so I have enough for both batches of angels.

My Blue Angels

The blue angels in the first stages before I trimmed the excess material.
The blue angels in the first stages before I trimmed the excess material.

The Blue Angels

As you can see from the photo I cut out and sewed the circles with the zig zag stitch.
I cut out the wings of felt. You can see the pattern for the wings and the circle.
These are smaller by two inches than the felt version because you fold the top for the angel dress. It reminds me of a Kimono.
See photo below for the idea I found on Pinterest.

One Blue Angel

One Blue Angel for your tree

Here is one of the finished blue angels. I used floss to add the smaller pom poms for the feet as was in the original folk art angel pattern shown at the top of the page here.
After I trimmed the circles of the two blue material pieces sewn with the zig zag stitch, I went through the same process as outlined above and added the wings and the beads to close the folds of the angel.

Fold ideas and Angel from Pinterest

Folded dress angel
Folded dress angel
Folded circle
Folded circle
Folded circle
Folded circle
Folded circle on crocheted angel
Folded circle on crocheted angel

Another Angel idea with folded dress

Folded angel dress from Pinterest at my Christmas Crafts board
Folded angel dress from Pinterest at my Christmas Crafts board

Folded circle

So from those three folded circle patterns from Pinterest I got the idea to fold the circle for the angel.
You can see over 500 pins alone for the Christmas themed crafts board I saved at my Pinterest account here at Laceroseayla Christmas Crafts - https://www.pinterest.com/laceroseayla/christmas-crafts/

The Blue Angels Christmas Ornaments

The Four Blue Angels - Christmas style

So you can see four of the blue angels I made. I made a total of twelve of the blue angels so far.
I had a problem with the feet - pom poms - getting tangled with the others in the floss where the pom poms are attached.
I thought what could I do to prevent this. Then I remembered I saw a pattern I saved on Pinterest of an envelope of felt.
So I took the squares of material that someone had cut out for a quilt that I got from the second had gave up. This is where I got the blues for the angels which inclueded a lot of other colors as well.
So I decided to used the greens and make a simple envelope attached with a small knot of floss.
I put each angel with their pom pom feet folded up in the skirt and folded the wings across the front and added it to an individual envelope.
Viola! problem solved!

The Blue Angels in their wrappers

Felt Envelope

Similar to what I made for a quick envelope -  saved Pin at my Pinterest account
Similar to what I made for a quick envelope - saved Pin at my Pinterest account

Seven Blue angels ready to mail

Here you can see four of the blue angels in their envelopes and three angels on top of their envelopes so you can get a perspective of the size of the envelopes.

Envelope wrapper for the Blue Angels

Three folds to make a simple envelope

Simple square folded into an envelope
Simple square folded into an envelope

Some of the pins from Pinterest of other angels and wing pattens

All these pins can be found at my Pinterest account mentioned above
All these pins can be found at my Pinterest account mentioned above
Angel wings patterns
Angel wings patterns
Cute smile that I used on another craft
Cute smile that I used on another craft
another angel
another angel

Angel Idea from Pinterest

Folded Angel cape with embroidery found at Pinterest and saved to my Christmas Crafts board
Folded Angel cape with embroidery found at Pinterest and saved to my Christmas Crafts board

Close up of the envelope

Shabby chic again for raw edges of the square of fabric for the envelope.
I make so many things each year that I cut corners. I usually make over 100 Christmas ornaments alone. In all I probably make 600 items each year for the Holidays, Birthdays and Anniversaries. It is fun for me and I listen to books at the same time.
I will watch a movie on the TV once in a while, but I cannot do much crafting while watching TV unlike my Mother who used to crochet while watching TV. A great talent!


Which angel do you like the best?

Will you be sewing some angels for yourself or gifts?

  •  Yes, I will be sewing the all felt angels
  •  Yes, I will be sewing the cloth angel with felt wings
  •  I love the cloth blue angel, but will not be sewing this year
  •  I love the all the angels, but will not be sewing angels this year, I will craft other things
  •  Yes, I will craft angels or other crafts this year
  •  No, they are cute but I will be buying crafts premade
Leave a message for me and a link to what you made and I will add your Blog page to my favorites!

Merry Christmas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! However, if you are just commenting to get me to come look at your page because you are selling something, I will delete your post.