Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Fall Leaves Plastic Canvas Coasters and Door Decoration

Fall Leaves


My oldest daughter and I both wanted some Fall Leaves for Decoration.  She wanted a set for Coasters for her Coffee table.  I made a set as a door decoration.

I found several patterns on Pinterest.  You can go to my Board at Pinterest here with a lot of Fall and Halloween Plastic Canvas patterns.  My Pinterest Board here.




Here are the six leaf shaped coasters I made for my daughter. My set will be about the same. 



This is the pattern I used.  Unfortunately the several pages I found at Pinterest are pretty blurry when you enlarge them.  You can go to my board as described above to get some patterns that are very similar.  Also I made a photo you you can see a piece of plastic canvas cut out and you can print and use.  



               The original Pinterest Pattern I used as a model 
                                 This leaf is 30 holes long and 29 holes wide.

                                                         
Burgundy leaf with mustard colored veins
Two tone greens leaf
Orange with Burgundy Veins
Medium Green with light green veins
Orange leaf with yellow veins
                                      Yellow leaf with dark green veins

First I cut out the leaves from size 7 Plastic canvas.  This is the regular type and not the stiff plastic canvas. 
Then I decided on the colors we wanted to use. As mentioned in my blog posts and Tutorials I get Acrylic yarn at the Big Box stores like WalMart or online.  I buy a large Skein for each color as I have been working on Plastic Canvas for 8 years [since 2009]. 

I do the veins first. I weave in and out every other hole on the diagonal and the one line vertically. I come back again and fill in the holes and posts of the leaf to complete the veins. 
The top of the leaf has both the holes with yarn vertically.
The bottom of the leaf show how to do every other hole to start then come back to cover the post of the plastic canvas. 



The rest except where I have to fill in one stitch, I cover two posts.
Showing th diagonal stitch over two posts coming up through the next hole to the right to make another stitch.  


After you fill in all the single and double stitches then you can whip stitch around the edges. 
  
Alternately you can just do all single stitches.  It works up faster to do the double stitches.  

Here is another leaf that is just a bit smaller with an alternative stitching pattern. 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/457678380874349607/
                   Close up of the stitching pattern. 

The Coaster Holder

I made my coaster holder different from the pattern. I also made mine larger to accommodate 6 coasters with the felt backs.   

The holder is 20 holes tall by 34 holes wide. Cut two pieces this size.  The sides of the holder is 13 holes wide and 20 holes tall.  Also cut two pieces this size.




Work each piece as desired of a pattern you like and colors you want.  I thought of the colors like the candy Life Savers how they were stacked in the pkg. 
So I designed the front of the coaster holder like that.



After you stitch all four pieces you will need to cut a bottom piece 20 holes tall by 34 holes wide. You do not need to work a pattern on the bottom piece.
Attach the four sides in a whip stitch and add the bottom.

                      Front of the coaster holder 

              Top view showing the coaster holder 

You can add felt to the back of each coaster to make them more absorbent of liquids to protect your furniture.  
Lay a coaster on paper and trace the coaster.  Lay the paper on your felt and cut out the shape.  Use a glue gun to attach the felt to the back of the coaster.  
The glue gun works better than Aleene's tacky glue.  I have used Aleene's and eventually the felt came off. 

                    
                        Paper pattern for the felt


Yellow and Dark Green felt for the backs of the leaves

Dark Green felt

Here is how the leaves and the holder look on my daughters coffee table. Cute, eh?

My set of leaves as a Door Decoration

Then I made my set similar to the ones I made for my daughter.  


My leaves will not be coasters. I am using them for a door decoration. 

I took orange and burgundy yarn and braided it with three strands of each color.  I added that to the top for a hanger.  I added the same colors to the edges for the fringe.  I used one sheet of white colored plastic canvas. After I attached all 6 leaves and the 5 mini pumpkins I cut out the center of the plastic canvas. 
Close up so you can see the white plastic canvas, the mini pumpkins and the fringe. 

Be sure to check out my Pinterest Board with a lot more Plastic Canvas patterns for fall leaves as well as my other Crafting and Plastic Canvas Boards at https://www.pinterest.com/laceroseayla/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! However, if you are just commenting to get me to come look at your page because you are selling something, I will delete your post.