Friday, October 20, 2017

Felt Penguins Tutorial

Felt Penguins from Pinterest

I used this idea from Pinterest
I used this idea from Pinterest 
The Folksy pattern is no longer available - but it describes the item. 

Felt Penguins 

I made a free hand drawn pattern using a CD as a shape for the body. The other felt pieces are also hand drawn.
Supplies

Each Penguin is made from felt using two Black pieces of felt for the body, two Yellow or Orange felt for the feet, two Black pieces for the arms, one White piece for the face and one Yellow or Orange piece for the beak. I used standard White Embroidery floss, standard thread, and Tulip paint for the eyes. 

My Penguins


       Supplies as shown and each piece of felt 

Penguin Pattern from Pinterest

Similar pattern of a Penguin. Cut out the parts as shown in the photo and procced as my directions. If you feel the eyes are too small to cut use the Tulip paint or wiggly eyes.
Similar pattern of a Penguin. Cut out the parts as shown in the photo and proceed as my directions. If you feel the eyes are too small to cut use the Tulip paint or wiggly eyes.

How I made the penguins

First I made the paper patterns, pinned the patterns on the felt and cut out all the pieces of felt. 
Next I used a running stitch with three strands of yellow floss to add the yellow beak to the white felt. Then I added the white felt to the black body front of the penguin with standard white thread to be used as a base to tack the white to the black. [You remove the tacking stitches after.] Then I used three strands of white embroidery floss to add the white felt face to the black body. 
I pinned the feet and the arms to the inside of back body and made a small tack to hold all four pieces it in place in the position I wanted them to be in with standard black thread. If you want your feet and arms lightly stuffed - see directions below.
Link for the pattern shown above. 

I stitched the two black bodies together with white floss six strands in a running stitch leaving a 2 inch opening to stuff the penguins. Leave your floss hanging so you can use this excess floss to close the gap.  Stuff the penguins with Polyfill and use the hanging floss to stitch the two inch gap close. Remove all the tacking stitching with scissors or a "Seam Ripper."
After they were all stitched up I was ready to paint the eyes on. They used wiggly eyes which you glue on with something such as Aleene's Tacky glue. I used black Tulip paint to add the large oval shaped dot for the eyes. Let dry 24 hours. 

Penguin pattern

I used a CD as my circle for the body. Cut two of those. The white part is basically a Heart shape with a rounded bottom instead of a V shape.  Cut one of those.  The feet are fairly easy - a U shape with three 'toes' - cut two of those.  The beak is a triangle. The arms are pretty easy. Cut two arms for each Penguin. The feet and arms are not stuffed with Polyfill, so you only need to cut two of each. If you want the arms and feet stuffed then you need to cut four of each feet and wings.  Stitch two of each together with an opening on the part that would be attached to the body. Stuff each foot and arm lightly. Attach with a running stitch or a base stitch that has no knot as you will take this stitching out as soon as the body is sewn shut.  

Here is another Penguin Pattern from Pinterest. Like with many ideas on Pinterest there are no directions. This is why I make these tutorials. 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/432134526730151474/

Another Penguin Pattern from Pinterest 

My Penguins done and one of my Orange cats 

Penguins finished, I could not resist to make some that were "waving"!!!
Penguins finished, I could not resist to make some that were "waving"!!!

You can find my Pattern for the Orange cat at this link: http://jaquo.com/toy-cat/

I have other Tutorials at Jaquo as well as Stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! However, if you are just commenting to get me to come look at your page because you are selling something, I will delete your post.