Monday, January 1, 2018

Easy to make Felt Birds

Easy to make - Felt Birds - FREE Patterns


Four white and red birds

I have only made four of these red and white felt birds.
I have only made four of these red and white felt birds.

Felt Christmas Birds from Pinterest

You will find all of these patterns and links to the Pins at my Pinterest account that are in this story.
You will find all of these patterns and links to the Pins at my Pinterest account that are in this story.

Another view of the Christmas birds

Both are at my Pinterest Christmas Crafts board
Both are at my Pinterest Christmas Crafts board
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/457678380853242679/ 
Pinterest Felt Birds

Red and White felt birds

I did not have a pattern for these cute birds that I had seen at Pinterest.
I hand drew from the two photos a bird and the wing designs.
I cut out all the parts in felt. I sewed the two bird parts one red and one white together with red floss. After I sewed the running stitch on two sets of the these parts I tacked the two sets together at the nose and the top of the two sets. This held the birds together as shown in the photo.
I held the four wings in the order as shown with the red wing under and slightly above the white wing, so that the red wings were under the white wings. With all 8 layers [!]
I carefully made a double X to hold all the layers. You could also sew the two bodies together first with two X 's and then add the four wings. Either way you need to make two big X to hold the four wings to the four body parts. Leaving the end parts open as shown in the photo - you do not need to tack these parts together.
I have saved all the patterns on this page at my Pinterest account here 

Christmas bird - FREE pattern

Red and White birds cut out and ready to sew with pattern at the top
Red and White birds cut out and ready to sew with pattern at the top

Hand drawn body and wings

Looking at the general shape of the bird with a pointy end for the beak and the smooth rounded ends for the tail feathers, I drew the pattern.
I made my wings not as wide as their wings. I always make my interpretations a bit different as not to infringe on their design.
A lot of people pin their work projects to Pinterest with no webpage or words to express whether it is a copyright design or not. I always look to check if there is a copyright on the design or words to that effect if there is a website. So I use their general ideas or a lot of ideas and roll all those designs into my own design. That way there is no infringement.

Pattern for Red and White bird and Cardinal with ruler

Patterns with ruler
Patterns with ruler

First Finished red and white felt bird

This is the first red and white bird I finished
This is the first red and white bird I finished

Back view of the red and white felt bird

You can see how the body parts are attached - one red and one white body. Tacking the two sets together with the red parts of the body on the insides.

Front view of the red and white bird

Front of the white and red bird
Front of the white and red bird

Front view of the red and white felt bird

You can see how I carefully stitched the bird at the front in just a few places around the head. I also made a few stitches to tack the two sets together at the top of the bird.
I tried to hide the stitches in the red felt part so the stitching was not obvious.

Cleaning up the felt

After all the stitching is done you can take your sharp scissors and trim the felt so that the white covers most of the red from the outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! However, if you are just commenting to get me to come look at your page because you are selling something, I will delete your post.