Sunday, October 25, 2026

Listening to Books from the Library of Congress

My Digital Book Library

                                               
                    Read or Listen to a Book!

Back in 1985 I started to get sound recordings provided by the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped.

The first Talking book looked like this and was invented by British Captain Ian Fraser who was blinded in the war in 1916.



A vintage first Talking Book and the history is at this website:
UK Vintage

The First Talking Book player I got when I was declared legally Blind in 1984 was this record player. 


                  Found on Pinterest listed as a toy record player

At that time I was given the above record player that played plastic flexible disks rather than the original hard vinyl records of the 1930's through the 1970's. 

More History info at:   History of NLS

I also got a Cassette player that played the cassettes that had 4 tracks played at a lower speed. You could also play regular cassettes on the regular speed.


Photo Credit

I used the cassette Talking Book player until 2008. 

In 2008 I got my first Digital Talking Book Player. I wore one out and got another one 6 years later. 

To sign up and see FAQ go to this link:

NLS free Braille and Talking Book Library

I was raising a family of 4 in 1987 [ages 17 down to age 0.] I did not have too much time to listen to anything so I only "read" about 20 books from 1984 to 1996 when I started back to college with ADA help.
Then I read a lot of college books for my classes for my AS in Computer Science.
See my story here for those years: 

After college and work I retired in 2003.  I got more books on the cassettes and read about 50 books between 2003 to 2010.
Then I started to go online to download the books to a blank flash drive cassette. 


Talking Book Player, Flash drive in a cassette shape and blue container used for shipping books for free.

The Flash Drive Cartridge I got from the NLS and the service is called Braille and Audio Reading Materials - BARD for short. You can also order a 4 GIG blank flash drive for the Talking Book from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Blank-Cartridge-Talking-Book-Players/dp/B073WJF9KB


You can go to their website and read how to sign up and download and extract the condensed or zipped files here.


   Apply for a talking book player and BARD service at NLS or Toll free at: 1-800-424-8567


Since 2011 I have read about 350 books. I have some favorites and I re-read them at least once a year.  


Young Adult Paranormal and Dystopian Books:
The Mortal Instruments by Author Cassandra Clare
City of Bones (published March 27, 2007)
City of Ashes (published March 25, 2008)
City of Glass (published March 23, 2009)
City of Fallen Angels (published April 5, 2011)
City of Lost Souls (published May 8, 2012)
City of Heavenly Fire (published May 27, 2014)

A Great and Terrible Beauty (The Gemma Doyle Trilogy) by Libba Bray

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick


Before I Fall  by Lauren Oliver

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)

by Stephenie Meyer


The Hunger Games: The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Mockingjay Suzanne Collins



Classics in the Jane Austen Vein [Family
Romance] :
Trigiani, Adriana. 
Big Stone Gap: a novel 
The shoemaker's wife: a novel
jane eyre Charlotte bronte


Fantasy:
The Merlin Series[edit]
Further information: Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy
The Crystal Cave (1970)
The Hollow Hills (1973)
The Last Enchantment (1979)
The Wicked Day (1983)
The Prince and the Pilgrim (1995)

SciFi:



Yancey, Richard The fifth wave books

Time's Eye (2003) (A Time Odyssey #1)
Sunstorm (2005) (A Time Odyssey #2)
Firstborn (2007) (A Time Odyssey #3) by Arthur C Clarke 


Rendezvous with Rama; Rama II; The Garden of Rama; Rama Revealed by Arthur C Clarke and
Gentry Lee [Lee also wrote two further novels set in the same Rama Universe.]

John Scalzi books:

Old Man’s War (2005)
The Ghost Brigades (2006)
The Last Colony (2007)
Zoe’s Tale (2008)
The Human Division (2013)
The End of All Things (2015)

ORSON SCOTT CARD 
Ender's Game (1985)


Historical Fiction
Diana Gabaldon Outlander series
 ​Outlander
​X ​Dragonfly In Amber
​X ​Voyager
​X ​ Drums of Autumn
​X ​The Fiery Cross
​X ​ A Breath of Snow and Ashes
​X ​An Echo In The Bone
X Written In My Own Heart’s Blood: Nicknamed “MOBY,” 
​X Lord John and the Brotherhood​
X Lord John and the private matter
X The scottish prisoner


Historical Fiction Religious Book One:
These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901 Kindle Edition
by Nancy Turner (Author)

​Book Two:
​Sarah's Quilt: A Novel of Sarah Agnes Prine and the Arizona Territories, 1906 Kindle Edition
by Nancy E. Turner  (Author)

I was wrong there is a book three:
The Star Garden: A Novel of Sarah Agnes Prine Kindle Edition
by Nancy E. Turner 



Sherry E <laceroseayla@gmail.com>
Wed, Oct 12, 2016, 7:30 PM
to me

http://www.hazelgaynor.com/
The Girl who came home
a novel about the Titanic
A memory of Violets

Religious:
ORSON SCOTT CARD 
Sarah (2000) Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
Rebekah (2001) Hardcover  Paperback  Kindle
Rachel and Leah (2004)
     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


When Calls the Heart
May-1983 2
When Comes the Spring  Jul-1985
3
When Breaks the Dawn
HR Apr-1986
4
When Hope Springs New
HR Sep-1986
5
Beyond the Gathering Storm
HR Jul-2000
6
When Tomorrow Comes

Love Comes Softly Series

1  Love Comes Softly 1979
2 Love's Enduring Promise 1980
3  Love's Long Journey  Oct-1982
4 Love's Abiding Joy Oct-1983
5 Love's Unending Legacy  Aug-1984
6 Love's Unfolding Dream Jul-1987
7 Love Takes Wing  Aug-1989
8 Love Finds a Home






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! However, if you are just commenting to get me to come look at your page because you are selling something, I will delete your post.